Sunday, March 30, 2008

The View From a Bardo State

Bardo states are intermediary places of transition for the soul (according to Tibetan Buddhism), which is what my life is feeling like these days. Typically this state endures between lifetimes, but I'm claiming it for my own. Everything is in transition, and I have certainty about nothing related to how my life is unfolding.

I can take no definitive action until a clear vision appears to me, and that vision is nothing I can force, create or consciously think through. It's always been that way for me. Once the image is clear, action is immediate, but until then, energies are incubating.

The best I can hope for is to use the time and energy until clarity emerges to go deep within and learn all sorts of good things about who I am so that when it is time to move forward, that movement fits me well.

I have never been able to set goals in terms of strategic planning. I find it too much of an imposition on that unfolding creative process that forms itself inside of me. If I plan, create a set of goals and come up with a 1 or 3 or 5 year plan, I am taken completely outside of a rhythm that honors G*d's magical energy at work in my life.

Work, relationships, who I am and what I'm going to do with my time and energy all elude me at the moment, so I'm sticking to taking things one day at a time. It's all just a bit too much otherwise.

No comments: